Thursday, April 25, 2013

"M" is for Metformin

Hello all!
 
So I thought  I would pick up where I left off about our little "plan of action" (besides mega prayer) for a mini Stell.
After we got the PCOS diagnosis my doctor immediately put me on a small dose of Metformin to see how my body would react. She warned me it wasn't an easy drug to take and be ready for some tough days. I was so excited at the prospect of getting to bottom of my issue that I didn't think twice! She started me on one pill a day for 1 week, two pills a day the next week, and finally the three pills a day starting week three and that would be my max dose. Forever. Yes, I am only 29 and have a forever prescription. Ugh. Anyway - I've never been one of the weird pill takers but all three of these HORSE pills with my big prenatals and dha supplement and my B complex....yeah it's a little more than I like to take. I digress...
 
Here is a quick description of the drug:

Metformin (Glucophage) for polycystic ovary syndrome

Examples


Generic NameBrand Name
metformin hydrochlorideGlucophage, Glucophage XR

How It Works


Metformin decreases the level of androgens produced by the ovaries and adrenal glands. It also helps the body use insulin and may reduce the risk of diabetes.
 
When blood sugar is lower, less insulin is needed, so the body makes less insulin. And when insulin is lower, the body produces a lower level of androgens.

Why It Is Used


Metformin is a diabetes medicine sometimes used for lowering insulin and blood sugar levels in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). This helps regulate menstrual cycles, start ovulation, and lower the risk of miscarriage in women with PCOS.
 
Metformin can be used to treat women who have PCOS to reduce insulin levels and promote normal ovarian function. Metformin is best used in addition to eating a healthy diet, losing weight, and exercising regularly.

How Well It Works


Metformin lowers insulin, androgen, and cholesterol levels. It also improves metabolism in women who are insulin-resistant.
  • Metformin may be useful in restoring regular menstrual cycles and starting ovulation in about 45% of women with PCOS.3
  • Clomiphene (Clomid) and metformin may be more effective when they are taken together. But more research is needed to confirm if this is true.
  • Some studies show that taking metformin has helped with in vitro fertilization (IVF). But other research did not support this.
  • Metformin may lower the risk of miscarriage or gestational diabetes in women with PCOS, but this has not yet been confirmed by research. Metformin is probably safe to take while you are pregnant. But because metformin is only FDA-approved for the treatment of diabetes, you should talk with your doctor about the use of this medicine for reducing your risk for miscarriage or treating PCOS symptoms.

Side Effects


The most common side effects of metformin are:
  • Nausea.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Increased abdominal gas.
  • A metallic taste.
So, maybe not so quick, BUT that explains better than I ever could.
Basically this medicine is supposed to level out and help my body get back to normal ovulating condition. Like NORMAL people! Maybe I should embrace the whole not normal thing ;)
 
Day 1 - No issues. Felt fine. I was feeling good! I was a master pill taker and my body rocked!
 
Day 3 - So I cheated. I went to the next dose early...again rocked it.
 
Day 6  -  So after a few days of taking the two I was still confident that I was fine and could move forward. I decided to take the full three and just see what happened - I could always go back to two and um hello, if I could jumpstart this process why not??
 
Day 7  - MAJOR FAIL!
If I can give one piece of advice it would be to never jump to full doses of drugs that doctors warn you will be "tough". By "tough" they mean you will bloat up like a whale, have hot flashes, extreme nausea, constipation, more nausea, and the grand finale - literally crapping your tights. Yes. Your TIGHTS.
So tread lightly my friends...with high doses of Metformin you can temporarily lose control of your bowels. Gross. Had to share though.
Side note: This happened at home right before we were going to the theater. Praise the Lord! Had time for a quick change. It was definitely an experience.
Moral - follow your dosing instructions and transitions should go pretty smoothly.
 
I've now been taking Metformin since December. I've only had one cycle in January. It was short - but totally a cycle! It gave me a little hope! Was I getting back on track? No, according to my P Tracker app (LOVE IT) I am now 68 days "late" LOL! So laughable. How can I be late for something that just isn't going to happen? Kind of a bitter statement..but it's how I feel.
 
Had my yearly check up in May and mentioned to my doctor that James and I are super serious at the point so what is the next step we can take besides the Metformin. I was prepared to give her a long sob story about how we just can't wait...my parents are older...we are scared we are getting older...basically anything that would prevent her from saying well just wait it out. To my surprise when I told her I haven't had a cycle since January she immediately said CLOMID is what we need to try.
 
A voice of an angel is what rang in that cold room. I was elated. Yay! One more step in the right direction! Would this be THE step?! So excited! I had read lots of great success stories about Metformin and Clomid working together. I thanked her, left, and filled my prescription.
 
Next blog:
Clomid (My First Cycle)
My thoughts :)
 
Sorry for the long blog entry.
I'm a little wordy ;)
 
Goodnight everyone!
XO
Lauren

 

No comments:

Post a Comment